Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Gotta' Cook If You Want to Eat

When I left for college I could probably make a peanut butter sandwich. Hmmm. Yeah, I think that's all, a peanut butter sandwich.

I still remember "Wolfie" at the soccer house teaching me how to boil pasta during my freshman year of college. I knew nothing about cooking beyond heat it in the oven at this temperature for this long.

But soon it dawned on me that the only assurance of eating well was learning how to cook. And I've always loved to eat well.

And eating well, to me, doesn't mean surf and turf every night. It's just good food that you crave to have again, and again.

And cook I have, stealing some favorites from Mom, figuring out dishes I've had in restaurants, studying food, the arts and sciences of cooking and eating. And I've still got a way to go. But I learned to feed myself, and eat well.

Sounds like a pretty simple thing, and it is. But many people seem so surprised that - me - being a man and all, would teach himself to cook. But 'ya gotta' cook if you wanna' eat.

No comments: