Tuesday, January 29, 2008

No Parties


"I don't belong to any political party. I'm a Democrat."
- Will Rogers


I understand that people feel comfort in groups. Bonding, associating similarities, coming together in numbers, builds strength and power.

But I'm not much for groups. I had no idea what a fraternity was until I went to college. Then when I learned what it was about, jeesh - let's see the members of the fraternity abuse me for a semester while I pledge, and then if they accept me I get to pay monthly dues and the members of the fraternity will promise to be my friend?

Sorry. Not interested.

In American politics we have two big fraternities, the Republicans and the Democrats. It seems like quite a small number of interest groups considering we're the largest, most diverse country in the world.

And Americans are strangely eager to define themselves in one of our fraternities. I don't quite understand it, but most people I talk to seem to feel an overwhelming need to call themselves either a Republican or a Democrat.

I believe in good ideas, not good parties. I don't care whether an idea originated from a Republican or a Democrat. I just care about the idea, and whether it's a logical, workable idea in tune to our society and our lives.

But how often do our representatives tow party lines? Almost exclusively. It's the fraternity after all.

We seem to forget that our representatives our elected to reflect our views. They are sent to Harrisburg or Washington to represent us. But do you ever here one of our representatives say "this is in the best interest of my constituents." I don't. I hear our representatives say "I believe this or that . . ." You believe? I thought you were there to represent me? to represent us?

There is only one thing that will take our representatives away from party lines - fear of losing the next election. And that fear comes from your voice, our voices, not enough heard.

I'm an independent. Like Will Rogers I don't belong to any political party. I believe in the idea of Democracy as originally presented by our founding fathers.

I often hear about our great Democracy. Well, maybe someday. I hope.

But a Democracy is one person one vote and technology may help us reach that someday. But for now we are a Representative government, voting for people to represent us. And if we keep working hard maybe we'll learn how to perfect that government form.

No comments: