Saturday, January 5, 2008

In Summary

After spending the week researching every conceiveable option, after working the phone and seeking the advice of nearly a dozen experienced folks, I've come to the conclusion that for now there's not much I can do.

Currently I receive my chemotherapy drug through a patient assitance program run by Bayer Pharmaceuticals, the maker of the drug. But that expires on March 23rd, and I'm trying to assure continued supply at an affordable cost. The cost of my chemo drug is nearly $5,000 a month.

I believe that my insurance company, Aetna, should be responsible for covering this drug under my policy. But they refuse. They decided to change my plan.

So my options right now are only two.

I can continue to fight and take on Aetna. That's a real David versus Goliath there. That fight would require support of local legislators, the state insurance commission, an expensive attorney, the local media. I'd rather concentrate on my health right now quite frankly.

My other option is to simply wait until February 22nd when Bayer will begin to review my case and make a decision on the supply and cost of the drug to me.

So there are no government funded options available to me until September 2009.

Of the private assistance programs that exist either their support is minimal or there is simply no sense in applying until Bayer makes its decision in March. Bayer's patient program is head and shoulders above any other program.

Or maybe Aetna will suddenly care about providing what they promised, running an honorable business, and doing what's right.

So this week I've learned that a cancer patient working to afford unbelievably expensive drugs stands their best chance working with their doctors and the pharmaceutical company itself.

Not what I ever would have guessed.

Through this cancer patient's experience I've learned how wonderful the doctors and nurses have been, how helpful the drug manufacturers can be, how everything through the government involves lengthy delays, and how my insurance company works against the interest of my health and in the interest of their own profit each step of the way.

No comments: