Saturday, December 13, 2008

That Wasn't Supposed to Happen

Well so much for my luck changing. I learned yesterday, from the results of my brain MRI, that the cancer has returned to my brain.

That's not good.

I'm officially a mess. The cancer is now almost everywhere. It's in my brain, in my neck, in my lungs, in my liver, in my kidney, and in my bones. I don't have to explain to anyone that that is just not good at all.

I've always been a pretty big, dumb, guy who can take some hard knocks. And I'm taking these knocks, so far, in stride. Quite frankly, after all I've been through, nothing surprises me anymore, no bad news shocks me. Plus, I always knew the fate of kidney cancer patients whose cancer spreads - there is no cure.

My faith is very strong. My philosophy is simple - to make the most of every day until God calls me, and when he does I must go.

So until that moment I am still putting up a fight, even in the dire shape I am in.

You know you're not doing well when the doctor eagerly provides you with large bottles of pain pills.

The radiology doctor will consult with me on Friday morning. We'll discuss what can or cannot be done in the brain. I've had both spot Gamma Knife treatment to the brain, and whole brain radiation already. You can only have whole brain radiation once or it will damage your brain cells so bad you'd be left a vegetable. So the only possible option is the Gamma Knife. But that is rife with potential pitfalls too.

Monday my new chemo should arrive here at the house and I'll start taking it immediately.

I'm going to try to meet with my family doctor early this week so he can sample a portion of these lumps on my head and get them through pathology.

I'll also be looking to meet with my urologist to get his definitive opinion on what's going on in my remaining kidney.

And the week will wrap up with another pow-wow with my oncologist.

I'm going to keep fighting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i,ve been following your blog for sometime.I praise you for your humor,courage,faith and strong will.You are an inspiration to others.You are and have been in our prayers. God bless.

Anonymous said...

I love you Dad. Please keep fighting. God works many miracles. I will be grabbing on to one of your feet if that's what it takes to keep you here. I hope that the new chemo will shrink all of the stuff in your body and that they can focus on what to do with the brain. I am so thankful for you in my life and I couldn't imagine life without you. I am selfish though. When your day comes you will be in a place that we will all long to be in. You have made an impact on many lives with your will to beat this and survive. As well all know, life is like a box of chocolates. We all have a gross jelly one or funny tasting cream one that we don't like. You've accomplished many things and are loved by many. I will always be there for you and my mom. You'll never be alone in this.

Love Always,

Alyssa

Jim Albert said...

Thank you Alyssa. That means the world to me.