Sunday, December 28, 2008

Rest, Food, and Medicine

Our neighbor stopped by yesterday and brought us a platter full of Christmas cookies. She's been having her own tough year and we spent a little time catching up and exchanging our stories.

Then Alyssa and Charlie stopped over for burgers last night and brought us another platter of Christmas cookies, pulled together by Charlie's Mom Maria. We had a nice visit and tried to name a kitten they're adopting this afternoon. We came up with 1,367 names but none were selected.

This morning I was up at 4:30 a.m., feeling wide awake. I was feeling a little hungry, so I started eating Christmas cookies. I'll tell you what...Maria knows Christmas cookies.

After filling my belly with cookies, feeding Freckles, and making coffee for Barb, suddenly I started falling asleep in the living room around 6:30 a.m., and next thing you know I was up in bed for another hour or two of sleep.

I did the same thing yesterday too (shrugging shoulders). I'm just going to go with the flow. If I'm awake at 3:30 a.m. I'll get up. If I'm tired at 10:00 a.m. I'll go to sleep. Whatever it takes.

I don't want to be overly optimistic, because cancer is whacky and unpredictable, but I was enthused yesterday to notice what I believe is the chemo working. The lymph node in my neck, and the lumps on my head, all seemed significantly smaller yesterday and that smaller size is consistent this morning.

Like I said though, I don't want to get too excited. I do know that I'm in for some weeks of hard work to even get the cancer back to a manageable level again.

I do want to get more productive. But I'm going to have to take it as I can. My "to do" list gets longer everyday, and I have a pile of stuff on my desk to catch up with right now.

Freckles reminds me to relax and take it easy on myself though. Right now he's two rooms away and I can still hear him snoring from here.

No comments: