Sunday, December 7, 2008

Monster on the Move

I haven't blogged for a few days as I first tried to make sense of a few days of scans, tests, and appointments with doctors.

The CT scans of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis did reveal that the cancer is on the move, and has spread in recent weeks. This certainly wasn't what I wanted to learn. But I wasn't surprised either. Areas where the cancer had spread were areas recently that I suspected.

The Torisel chemotherapy has stopped working, and I'm now going to try to get on a chemotherapy known as Sutent. Since the drug cost more than $5,000 a month, I will be relying on a patience assistant program through Pfizer, the pharmaceutical company who manufacturers Sutent.

Here's the breakdown from the week...

The liver is somewhat stable. There were as many as three tumors in the liver previously. But now there is one tumor that is dying from the center out, and another new small tumor that has appeared.

The remaining kidney is a little bit of a puzzle. A growth in that kidney last scan was described as a "fatty tumor" and non-cancerous. One doctor told me that even a fatty tumor could be dangerous to the kidney. Another doctor said that fatty tumors never threaten the whole kidney. Regardless this growth is now five-millimeters larger than last scan, and requires more questioning of doctors by me. This growth has been very slowly evolving over quite some time.

The right hip is now a new discovery. The cancer is in the process of eating through part of my hip bone. I wasn't surprised by this because my hip has been slightly sore in kind of an odd fashion for at least the past six-weeks. I suspected that the cancer may have made its way there.

The rest of the mid-section is fine, and there are no lymph nodes involved in my abdomen or pelvis.

The chest has shown some additional cancer in the upper lobes of both lungs. The incidents are somewhat numerous (the radiologist did not specify) but all are quite small. There is a low density something in the lower lobe of the right lung, but the report felt that it could be caused by inflamation from a recent cold - which I did have.

And finally, the scan did account for some cancerous involvement in both lobes of the thyroid gland. This I had actually visited the doctor a couple weeks ago about, so I wasn't surprised. The doctor did not think anything was going on at the time. An ultra-sound of my thyroid showed nothing. But I'll tell you what, I know when my body is giving me signals.

The doctor seemed very concerned by this sudden documented activity. I think what surprised him most was the activity in the thyroid and in the bone of the hip. To be cautious he has ordered me to have an MRI of the brain this Thursday.

Also I am to meet with radiology this week to discuss at least hitting the hip bone with some radiation to try to stop it from moving any further through the bone. Perhaps the thyroid may become a radiation target also, after the new chemo has had a chance to work on it a bit.

I wasn't so surprised by all this news, as I mentioned, because I had suspected these areas for weeks now.

The oncologist visit on Friday was kind of surreal. I think the doctor was really stunned and that resulted in a more concerned reaction than I felt was necessary. But I'd certainly rather have the doctor erring on the side of caution.

Word spread quickly through the department and suddenly we were being hugged and consoled by nurses. The reaction was mixed between concern for my health, and saying goodbye to us since we wouldn't be visiting the chemo room for quite sometime again.

Friday night I slept off the news of the day. I awoke at two a.m. and was wide awake. I dug out the reports from the past two scans.

All of the cancerous growths throughout my body were still on the small side. I'd much rather have the growths in one single location, rather than six different. But were talking about all small lesions yet at this point.

The cancer in the hip could certainly become a problem. But plans were already in the process to hit that area with radiation to stop it, and add some medicine that would actually help to rebuild it.

The cancer in the thyroid could also go the route of radiation. But that could possibly burn my throat out pretty good. Hopefully the new chemo will have a positive effect on it.

The whole thing in the kidney just has to be figured out once and for all. If this growth is a threat to my kidney it could possibly be frozen in a semi-new process known as cryoblation. I must meet with the surgeon who originally removed by right kidney to discuss this further.

As for the lungs and the liver I'm going to be hoping the new chemo Sutent can really make an attack on those, and all areas.

I feel positive. But then I always will feel positive. That comes from my strong faith. It's amazing what strength you can truly pull from God. All you have to do is ask, and turn it over to Him.

The number one priority for Monday will be to pursue access to the Sutent chemotherapy drug so I can start taking it as soon as possible. It is a pill, taken once a day, for 28-days in a row, followed by 14-days off. Then you start the cycle all over again.

As this week moves on I'll keep you all apprised as to how things are progressing.

Today we're decorating our Christmas tree and the house in general. Barb and her Mom ran out yesterday afternoon, with snowflakes flying all around, and picked us out a perfect tree. Charlie and Alyssa visited to help us straighten out the tree and start to decorate a little.

The men sought perfection in the tree being straight up and down. The women were OK with a little leaning to the right.

Freckles approves of the tree.

It's a beautiful tree. I can't stop looking at it. It brings a warmth to me, and a nice, broad smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless you my son -- you have added the positive spin on all this that your mother really needs. Mothers are suppose to comfort their child in time of crisis. Instead, I am leaning on you to be my strength in all this. I pray that the Sutent will finally provide the miracle that we all need. Since the lesions are all small, it should be an easy go. Stay positive and don't give up. We are here for you and if you need anything at all, we will see that you get it. If Barb needs anything don't hesitate to ask. I love you so much. MOM

Anonymous said...

Your Mother has said what is also in my heart. Call for anything you need.

Love you both, Other Mom

Unknown said...

Dear Jim,

My mother told me on Sunday that you had news that was not so great to hear and asked me to put you back on my children's school prayer chain. I did so and prayed really hard that night for you and your family. I asked the prayer chain to keep your mother in mind especially as well. All of our rosaries include you by name. I just want you to know that this prayer chain you are on has seen some real miracles in the past. One girl was on the prayer chain for possibly having T-cell Lymphoma. The doctors would never definitely diagnose her, but she is now free of this disease. My hope is that God has the same in store for you. You have such a supportive family and loving wife. You are truly blessed. One last note. My husband and I were watching the movie Amazing Grace this past Sunday. It is a movie about songs that have been written from great inspiration. One of the songs that it details is "What a Friend we have in Jesus". Those word were written by a man who lost two fiances right before each of his planned weddings. He wrote a note to his mother and this has become the song. Why do I bring this up...because the first verse says so much of what you said about trusting God. Keep the faith. Be strong. God has a plan for you in all of this suffering. May He continue to give you and your family the strength to face each day so positively. God Bless you.

Beth Ann Veres(Shiner)