Thursday, December 11, 2008

Quick Updates

It's a cold, rainy, miserable day in Pennsylvania. Alyssa picked us up just before 8:30 a.m. and took me into a local health center for an MRI of my brain.

The MRI is meant to be a pre-cautionary measure that my oncologist ordered after I experienced some spreading of the cancer. He grounded me until we get the results from the MRI tomorrow. With a good result from the MRI I'll be back behind the wheel of the FJ and driving again.

When I was done with the MRI I sat up on the table and looked at the tech and asked, "Is the hamster still on the wheel?"

I at least got a smile out of her. From the beginning she really didn't look like she wanted to be at work.

It's been my experience that if the MRI does reveal something the tech let's the radiologists know and I hear something back pretty quick. I haven't heard anything yet, so I take that as good news. But there really isn't any value in guessing. Tomorrow we will get the results.

The pursuit of Sutent continues, and progress does seem to be happening in acquiring this chemo drug. I called earlier today and politely asked if there was anything I could do to expedite the process. That alone seemed to help get things going.

Also a nurse from the oncology office has been in direct discussions with a counselor at Sutent. I spoke with her this afternoon and she had to pen a letter promising that we could not afford a $5,000 a month co-pay.

Jeesh. Who could afford that?

The kind helpful nurse at the oncology office feels that things will work out by early next week.

We'll take it from there.

And for getting me to the MRI today Alyssa, that's one BIG THANK YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, you know I'd do anything for you!

Love,
Alyssa