Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Little Confused

My oncologist called me yesterday to check-in and see how I was doing.

That's one very unique and special thing about this oncologist. There are only so many doctors these days that would take the time out of their busy schedules to do that.

I told him that I was doing pretty good. I have a lot of aches all over my body, I told him. But I assumed that was my body going through transition from 19-months of chemo to no chemo at all. He agreed.

I also told him that I was planning on seeing my family doctor today who was planning on taking a biopsy from one of the two mystery lumps on my head.

"Two lumps," he asked.

Yes there were now two lumps, one on the lower back of my scalp, and one on the left side just above my forehead.

The oncologist suddenly did an about face. He did not think much of my one lump when he saw it. He called it a possible wart. But now that he heard there were two he now thought that it was cancer.

I never heard of topical cancer bumps on the scalp so I politely questioned him. He told me that it is quite common, especially in kidney cancer cases.

He also didn't want my family doctor taking a biopsy from either of the lumps, although he didn't really explain why. And I remain confused about that. But I'm going to follow my oncologist's wishes and I cancelled today's appointment with the family doctor.

I also questioned my oncologist for a little more clarification on the involvement in the brain. Afterall that is the most crucial area that needs attention. I was under the impression that there were numerous spots in the brain. But yesterday the oncologist told me that there was just one, one small spot. I made him repeat that to me again.

Any lesions in the brain are serious, but one is definitely the best number of all. One is fairly easy to treat with the Gamma Knife, a unique, futuristic device that spot treats specific areas of the brain with radiation, sparing healthly cells.

This is going to be a very detailed area of discussion on Friday with both the radiation oncologist and the oncologist. One fear of mine is that advent of one small spot is just a signal of more to come. We, ideally, need to make sure that spread to the brain is complete before going after them. You can only hit the brain with radiation so many times before you're turned into a vegetable. And let's face it, I wasn't too far off to begin with!

Today Central PA is under a winter weather advisory, and the sleet has already shown itself in Marietta. It's a good day to stay inside, maybe take a nap with Freckles, and I think I might.

No comments: