Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas at Grandma's House

"Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go. The horse knows the way, we're in the sleigh, and I'm tickling Barb's big toe."

OK, OK, lol, I don't know all the words.

We're heading to my parents house today, up on the hill in Myerstown, to celebrate Christmas. We were very concerned that the forecasted snow and ice would keep us away. But it looks like we'll get a clear safe ride over and back. I think the weathermen and women like to draw a lot of attention to themselves this time of year. It really doesn't look like we're going to get an inch of snow, or even close to the three-inches they were calling for.

I'm ready to drive the FJ Cruiser over if the roads are threatening at all. But since everything looks like it will be pretty good, I might ask Alyssa and Charlie if they would mind driving while I relax in the back of their ultra-comfy all-wheel drive BMW.

Barb and I only have one present in the sled, and it's for Heather, my sister's child. I can't wait to see her face when she opens it. I know I couldn't stop playing with it, so I'm hoping it has the same effect on her. It's a "Miss Kitty" keyboard that has all kinds of neat effects attached to it. It even records your playing and singing. And the topper is a "meow" mode where all the keys make different "meow" sounds.

I almost kept that one for myself. lol

My brother and I had a washer and dryer installed in our parents garage so they didn't have to lug the laundry up and down from the basement any longer. It's a gift that is a couple of years over due.

I was hoping to see the washer and dryer in action today. But the electrician got called off to a larger job and took off before finishing this job. It drives me crazy when contractors do this, and they seem to do it more often than not.

Otherwise we're all looking forward to being together as family in the house I was raised in, surrounded by so many familiar things.

Of course, we cannot forget the longing for my Mom's "untraditional" Christmas feast: burgundy (boozy) chicken; detroit-style potato salad; olive balls; shrimp cocktail; and lots of other bits and bites.

It's nice to split up the Christmas holiday over a few days. The days of running to three or four different homes in one day just made it all to stressful and hectic. Plus the birth of our Christ and Saviour is something worth celebrating everyday...and I do.

No comments: