Monday, December 22, 2008

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

We had an absolutely, positively, fantastic time yesterday celebrating an early Christmas at my parents' house in Myerstown.

Yesterday, for me, was yet another reminder of how blessed I truly am. Even amongst the cancer and the pain pills my heart is warmed by such special people around me.

Our first blessing yesterday was simply the lack of snow. The weather folks were really pumping the doom and gloom going into Sunday. But it proved to be an easy travel day for us.

Now I'm used to being a guy who takes things on his shoulders and carries. It seemed quite odd to me to have Charlie and Alyssa drive Barb and I to Myerstown. But I am so grateful to them for doing this. It certainly made the day much easier on me, and allowed me to relax and enjoy it.

I must mention the surprise Alyssa pulled on me. Around 1989 I bought a used 12-string acoustic guitar while I was living and working in Philadelphia. In the past few years it has drifted out of shape, out of tune, and was even missing a couple strings. With her Mom's help she snuck the guitar out of the house, had it completely refinished and restrung and then surprised me with it yesterday.

"Does it look OK," she asked.

"It's never looked this good," I answered with a broad smile. I was very, very touched.

Everyone was in good spirits all day. My parents worked hard, as usual, to bring us kids another memorable Christmas.

Charlie likes Sanders Fudge from Detroit so much that my Mom bought him the super-large size can. When he unwrapped it, he was so excited he had Alyssa take a picture of him and the can of fudge. It was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

My parents dog, Noelle the three-legged Bichon, was as usual, a major source of attention and entertainment. I wore my bear paw slippers, primarily for cancer comfort, but also for the smiles. I didn't anticipate that Noelle would have attacked them, although I should have.

Charlie decided to hang out on the floor a little bit, in kindness to give up his seat to another. What he didn't anticipate was the floor was Noelle's turf and she started jumping all over him. You had to see it to truly appreciate it.

And Jamie and my sister's daughter Heather was in full show, smiling broadly from ear to ear.

I had plenty to just sit back and take-in all day, a wonderful day of family getting together, in a time where it seems harder and harder to do so.

Thanks Mom. Thanks Dad. Thanks everyone.

No comments: