Friday, December 19, 2008

It's a Good Day

First I'd like to thank my Mom for traveling through terrible weather today to come pick us up in Marietta and get Barb and I to my doctor appointments. I understand she ran into some icy conditions on the way home. I'm so glad she's home safe and sound.

She probably returned to a big lick in the face from their pooch, and well, probably one from my Dad too.

I know that the trials that I've been through have been tough on my Mom. I do feel sorry for putting her, and others, through this. I do want her, and everyone to know that it is alright to cry.

For those around my Mom, please offer her a shoulder, please offer her a hug, please hold her up when she's feeling down.

I try to convince everyone that's so special around me to rally together. There is strength in numbers. No one should stand isolated in their pain, or their joy.

I know my Mom puts on an exterior of a really tough cookie. But like most tough cookies, she's all soft and mushy on the inside.

Please reach out to her, everyone.

I did want my Mom to witness the care environment that I am in. I wanted her to meet the doctors, see the nurses and staff in action. I think she was impressed with what she saw.

It's strange. I don't quite understand how it happens. But I tend to be a memorable character. My Mom summed it up simply, "It's because you're a giant!"

That may be. But when I walk into the cancer center it's like Norm walking into the fictional TV bar Cheers. I guess I've spent as much time at the cancer center as Norm has spent at Cheers.

Considering the mess I am in, we had what we consider to be good news today, and a good visit with the doctors.

Obviously when the chemo Torisel stopped working, the cancer went on a spreading frenzy. Today will be my fifth day on the new chemo Sutent, and a lot right now lies in Sutent's hands.

There was good news on the brain. There is only one very small tumor in my brain, the size of a pen tip. The radiation doctor wants to put that to the Gamma Knife and obliterate it as soon as possible. It appears as if that will be January 7th.

The right hip bone is going to receive approximately a 10-day radiation treatment to kill the cancer there. That will happen as soon as possible too to prevent the cancer from putting the bone at risk for fracture.

The two bumps on my head, everyone today concluded, are cancerous. The larger bump on the back of my head seems to extend underneath the skin a little over an inch. The oncologist's first reaction was to let the chemo work on drying these bumps up. But when I explained to him how painful and annoying the bump on the back of my head has been to me, he didn't hesitate to recommend surgery to cut it out. So I'll be heading to a plastic surgeon soon also to have this addressed.

Everything else, neck, lungs, liver and kidney, for now is in the hands of Sutent.

I know it sounds kind of silly to consider Gamma Knife radiation, regular radiation, and surgery, good news. But it is to me. I'm just thrilled that something can be done.

In the meantime I have pain killers and the spirit and joy of Christmas to get me through - not to mention my Mom's famous Boozy Chicken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jimmy for caring so very much about me. I wish I could be going through all this for you. I have to admit it is hard to see you so very sick but you have been looking better lately. As for the hugs, my friends have been wonderful reaching out to me. Janie Hain made a special stop today to give me a hug. Aggie, Gail, Elaine, Doris, JoAnn, my friends from work have all been a godsend. Without them, I just don't know what I would do.

I liked your doctors very much and felt like they gave a very positive spin to your treatment plan yesterday. It was worth it to drive out just to see how much they care about making you well again. I was very stunned and grateful when Dr Oyer said he will pray for you. I have never heard a doctor say that before. You are lucky because you are in such good care and I feel God has led us in the right direction. It might be up to the Sutent but it is all in God's control now and so we will all pray that the Sutent will do all it is suppose to do and more.
I love you and Barb so very much. MOM

Unknown said...

Dear Jim,

I just want you to know that my family continues to pray for you daily for healing and strength. I offer any possible sacrifice for your health and a cure of this cancer that I can as well. (Believe me, with six kids there is a lot to offer on a daily basis). Hang in there, we are all pulling for you. Keep that positive spirit and your faith in God. He has a plan for you and your family in all of this pain. Sometimes it is just hard to see why. As well, you tell your mom that she is in my daily prayers for strength and perseverance. She, as well as that great wife of yours, are true blessings. I will add you to the prayer chain again with excerpts from your blog to let the prayer members know how things are going. God bless you and your family.