Friday, July 20, 2007

Two in a Row

We received the results of this week's brain MRI yesterday and everything looks good at this point. That's two positive radiology test results in a row. First we had the good CT scan of the chest, and now this positive MRI scan of the brain.

The MRI basically showed that four of the six brain tumors were greatly diminished or gone. The two others were stable and had not changed in size. At this point, just six-weeks after the end of radiation treatments, the radiation is still working. So we'll check again in September for further progress. There was no evidence of new tumor activity.

Basically radiation poisons cells. It restructures the cells themselves, confusing them, so they cannot function properly. Over time the tumor cells, hopefully, cannot reproduce or regenerate and thus slowly die. It is a slow poisoning process that takes time to realize its full effects.

Unfortunately radiation can also harm normal cells, not just the tumor cells. Since I had to endure whole brain radiation I'll have to watch and work on, what overall damage the radiation may have caused me. Some longterm affects can take awhile to present themselves.

But I've gotten this far in life without using most of my brain most of the time...lol...I'm sure I can work it out.

No comments: