Tuesday, July 24, 2007

No Worrying Why

One thing I've discovered through my experiences is that almost all cancer patients embark on a discovery of "why?" "Why did I get cancer?"

And it's not a "Why did this happen to me?" (although there's always occasional pity parties).

It's a plain old "Why did I get cancer?"

"How did this happen?"

You relive your entire life in less than a week. Was it something I did? Something I didn't do? Is it hereditary? Environment? Lifestyle? What is it?

Should I have brushed my teeth one more time each day???

It's a journey of discovery almost every cancer patient seems to take. But each of those journeys ends the same. There's no apparent rhyme or reason to it. Non-smokers get lung cancer. Two-year olds somehow get brain cancer. It plays no favorites, follows no logic. It just is.

I definitely went on this journey. I came up with 2,762 different possibilities to rationalize how I got cancer. Then I came to my senses and accepted that it doesn't make any sense at all, and doesn't have to.

There's a lot in this world that's beyond our understanding. I concluded early in life to not fight that. The human sense of curiousity is one worth following. But don't beat yourself up. There are things that will not get explained. You just got to have faith.

And that's what it's all about . . . faith.

No comments: