Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A Little Good News

We've been anxiously awaiting results of a bronchoscopy that was done last Wednesday. Moments ago we just received the good results, and the small growth behind my trachea near the Adam's apple is NOT cancerous. So we all breathed a nice sigh of relief.

A few weeks ago I had a CT scan of the chest to check two cancerous areas we've been following throughout the past year. One area was an enlarged lymph node in the hilar region of the right chest (where the trachea meets the lung) and the other area was a small nodule in the upper lobe of my left lung.

The scan was definitely the best I've had in a year, and showed the progress of the chemo drug I've been taking since late February. The lymph node in the hilar region has completely decreased to normal size with no sign of disease. The nodule in the upper lobe of the left lung has shrunk a little bit. WOOHOO!

The only question mark about the CT scan was a new growth outside the trachea near the Adam's apple. So we did the bronchocopy last week to sample that area and put it through pathology. And those are the results we just received today - that it's not cancerous. We're not sure what it is yet. We're going to watch it on follow-up scans. But it's not cancerous and that's the big thing.

And that's the big news of the day.

I'm still fighting the effects of the radiation. The fatique is certainly still there but continues to improve. My appetite and general nausea and rough digestion still remain the biggest issues. It's tough for me to eat. But I'm doing what I can. I have lost nearly 20-pounds now, mostly in the last two weeks. Frankly those were 20-pounds I could stand to lose. But we all know that I've got to stop that weight loss here and start finding ways to get the eating going again.

Thanks again to everyone for all the continued phenomenal support!!!

No comments: