Thursday, July 5, 2007

Not Enjoying Every Sandwich

Ironically I named this blog after something I cannot currently do...eat.

I believe that I'm rehabilitating pretty well from the radiation treatments. But I do have one major obstacle yet to overcome for sure.

I can't eat. I've lost 20 pounds.

Eating is not something that has ever come hard for me. In fact, eating has always been one of my favorite things - and a huge reason why I've become such a good cook over the years.

But eating has become quite difficult. I always have a sour stomach now, plus rough digestion, and in general I've just lost my appetite. All the foods I used to crave now kind of just disgust me, the smell of 'em, the sight of 'em, you name it.

It's baffling to me. But I've heard enough from doctors and other survivors to realize that it's an expected, normal part of the process.

And it's my number one challenge to figure out how to overcome. Right now, for whatever reason, I just can't handle anything cooked. I basically can handle raw fruits and veggies, so I'm eating as much of those as I can. But it's leaving me without proteins. So I need to start finding a way to like peanut butter, or something. And I need to stop the weight loss where it is before my basic body tissues start breaking down.

I can't tell you how much I look forward to getting the eating back to regular again. We used to bake a fresh loaf of bread here every Sunday. It's been quite awhile since we've baked any bread.

I can't wait to make a world-famous Albert family stromboli again. I can't wait to eat two dozen wings at Mosby's again (oh man those are good). I can't wait to have banana's foster at the Stouch Tavern again. I can't wait to have brunch in the circular dining room at the Hotel Hershey again. I can't wait to have the beef wellington at the Accomac Inn again. I can't wait to have a large cheese steak at Frank's A Touch of Italy again.

I can't wait to "Enjoy Every Sandwich."

No comments: