Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When it Rains it Pours

First I really need to thank Susan, Barb's Mom, for transporting me to appointments not just yesterday, but today as well. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I can never thank Barb enough for going to all of these appointments with me, sacrificing herself and her time. She's truly been my partner through this tough journey and just gives and gives and gives.

Yesterday Barb and I met with the radiation oncologist who was eager to start radiation treatments right away to one vertabrae in the cervical spine. The cervical spine is higher up the spine between the upper shoulder blades.

Since this area wasn't diagnosed very quickly (at first we thought it was strained muscles, then a rotator cuff strain, then a pinched nerve) the doc didn't want it to last any longer. If let to continue it could jeopardize the stability of that vertabrae and collapse, creating REAL problems.

That's all I needed to hear. I thought the current problems were real enough.

I was hoping for a brand new style of radiation treatment, a new machine called tomotherapy, that delivers one high dose of radiation directly at the cancer with little harm to adjacent cells. But the doc felt better about the older style of radiation which delivers lower doses of radiation over a period of weeks. Since this area was so close to the spinal cord itself, he wanted to be very cautious. I had to sign a paper stating that this procedure could causes paralysis. But the nurse told me that has never happened in her seven-years there.

So now I have to go in for radiation everyday for at least 10-days. But the doctor is reserving the right to extend that to 15-days if he deems necessary.

This is also coincidentally "scan week." I have an MRI of the head this morning, plus bloodwork. Then I have a CT of the chest, abdomen and pelvis on Friday. Everyday of course will also include a radiation treatment beginning this afternoon.

So for the next few weeks I'll probably be spending just as much time at the medical facilities as I will at home.

Whew!

The fight continues. We are up for it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Without seeing your MRI, I am confused -- the cervical spine has 7 vertebrae and then you start with the thoracic spine which has 12 vertebrae and then move to the lumbar spine which has 5 vertebrae before the sacroiliac spine begins. I thought this tumor was at the level of T-2 and where you pointed to your pain was defintely below the level of the cervical spine. While any damage to any vertebrae is bad enough, I would prefer the damage be at the T-spine level and not the C-spine level. So, straighten me out -- where exactly is this tumor? C-spine or T-spine and at what level?
I also add my thanks to Susie for driving you to your appointments but anytime you need my help, you know I will jump in with both feet and be there for you. Barb and Susie and Bill are just the greatest blessings God gave you in this life and I am sure glad you are appreciating all they do for you. Love MOM