Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Groan

Today will be a big day. Barb and I will meet with the big boss doc who will make the decisions on how we proceed from here.

The test results from last week were not great. But I have to admit that I wasn't surprised by them.

There are two new small (two millimeter) spots in the brain. I expected this. Once cancer passes the blood-brain barrier and seeds in the brain it's a tough, virtually impossible fight. All we can do is try to keep catching new lesions when they are small and treat them with the Gamma Knife (high dose radiation).

Plans are being set for the Gamma Knife now.

I don't know why, but for some reason I just didn't feel like my current chemo was working. That does appear to be the case. I'm confident that the oncologist will agree with my naive analysis when we meet today and I'm expecting he has developed a new plan for chemo moving ahead.

I've typed out a page-and-a-half of discussion points and questions to review with the big boss doc today. Some days he is more pushed for time than others. I hope he has the time today. I'm going to skip the normal "How are yous?" and jump right into things - at least that's the plan.

I am scheduled for a chemo treatment today. But if the doc does decide that this chemo is not working he will cancel that.

Whether I go through chemo today, or I don't, we're going to try to sneak in for my daily radiation treatment earlier than scheduled. They understood and allowed that Friday. So I'm hoping for that kindness and understanding again. Sometimes it's just a matter of what nurse you talk to, and what kind of mood they are in.

A big thank you RL Mom for getting us in there and through these events today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are ALL in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

That is a Pennsylvania Dutch sentence, just in case you didn't recognize it. Aunt Brenda