Monday, October 12, 2009

The Roller Coaster

Sometimes I feel like my body is Disneyland and cancer is planning on going on all the rides.

Saturday morning was incredible. After three radiation treatments last week I woke up Saturday and there was no pain, none anywhere to be found. I couldn't believe it. I hadn't felt like that for weeks and weeks and weeks.

I also had a dry patch developing on the back of my throat. It was sore and often would hurt when I swallowed. But Saturday morning that was completely gone too! I was amazed. I could only conclude that the radiation treatments were working.

There was a down side. Isn't there always? The radiation did seem to be upsetting my belly a bit. I had not become physically sick. But it was enough to really lower my appetite in general. So my eating now is not what it should be. But Barb is working hard to present me with good food that's hard to resist.

Today I begin my fourth radiation treatment and then meet with the radiation/oncologist. I'm sure he'll share my brain MRI results with Barb and I from last Wednesday. I've told Barb that I'm approaching those results anticipating that there will be more tumors found in the brain, but hoping (crossing fingers) that none will be spotted. It's just the nature of the beast. Once cancer lands in the brain it is almost impossible to eradicate it. But my doc has assured me that we can continue to chase it around in the brain with radiation. Here's hoping for the best though.

Tomorrow will be a full day, with frankly too much going on in just one day. Barb and I will meet with my oncologist and review the CT scan of my chest, pelvis and abdomen last week. I've prepared a pretty big list of questions for him. I hope he has the time to bear with me and discuss them all. It's important.

After that I'm heading straight to chemotherapy. Then later in the day I have another radiation treatment. With all the fatigue I've been dealing with it will be a lot to handle.

After Tuesday all the tests should be concluded for awhile and marching orders from there should be established.

Maybe I'll nap most of Wednesday and just watch Sponge Bob.

No comments: