Saturday, October 17, 2009

Damp, Raw, Cold, Rainy - It's Beautiful

It was very nice this morning to wake up and realize that I don't have to go anywhere today. No hospitals, no doctors, no nurses, no needles, no radiation, I don't have to go to any of these places nor do any of these things - like I did everyday this week.

It's horrible outside today, absolutely terrible. It's 20-degrees cooler than typical October averages. There's a steady rain. It's the kind of raw day you just feel in your bones. They had a couple inches of snow in Happy Valley yesterday just in time for today's Penn State football game. Snow in October?

It's a beautiful day to not have to go anywhere.

Another big thank you to Barb's Mom Susan for getting us everywhere this week. She is so gracious. So giving. So willing to help without hesitation, adjusting her schedule and her life to help us. I feel very humbled by her generosity.

And a big thank you to my Mom both for supporting, helping and coaching me through a difficult week filled with twists and turns and ultimately important decisions. All the while my Mom sorts through her own decision making in support of my Dad.

All evidence points to my Dad returning home from the nursing facility very soon. The reports my Mom have shared with me all seem to indicate that he would be much better off at home, back on the hill. He is quite lucid, very aware, and physically strong. His walking is a bit challenged, but comparable to any 80-plus year old.

Spending a day here and a day there at the house he is much happier in surroundings familiar to him. He built that house. It's where he wants to be. The whole family agrees.

So my Mom met with a social worker to start the discharge process. From what I understand, the social worker is calling a meeting of the "committee" who will interview his doctor, her doctor, nurses, in-home health workers, Donald Duck, Governmor Ed Rendell, Joe Paterno, several Phillies players and a few members of the rock band Aerosmith. They're supposed to get back to my Mom with a decision in about a week.

I'm a little offended by the idea that a group of people I don't know plan to make a decision on whether my Dad is allowed to go back to his home or not. But I guess they're working to protect everyone's best interest. In this world of lawyers I'm guessing liability concerns would prevent the "committee" from ever recommending that someone could leave.

My Mom is playing it nice though, following the rules and guidelines. Let them do their thing because he is coming home regardless.

And one of my main goals of the day? I'm making gumbo, really good shrimp and andouille gumbo! Why of course I have okra!

No comments: