Saturday, October 10, 2009

Even Steven

We all realize that life is a delicate balance. We have good days. We have bad days. We have days where everything we tough turns to gold. And we have days where everything we tough turns to mud.

Last week was a very busy week filled with plenty of peaks and valleys. There was a consult with the radiation/oncologist to discuss radiation treatments to my cervical spine. There was planning and simulations of that radiation procedure. There was a brain MRI. There was laboratory work. There was a CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. Beginning Tuesday there was daily radiation treatments. It was one of the busiest weeks I've experienced.

On top of all of this I've been shuffling around like a zombie as a result of all the medications that I am on.

Some days were very rough on me.

My philosophy entering the week was that I have a very heavy weight to carry up a very steep hill but I was going to buckle down, not complain about it (well maybe a little) and get it done. If anyone came along and asked me if they could help me carry some of the weight I wasn't going to be stupid and turn that kind offer down. But I was ready to take it all on if I had to.

Barb has always been my angel through this journey. She does everything and anything to ease my burden. I couldn't possibly list how many times she's propped me up and held the ship together. Thanks Barbie!

Barb's Mom Susan immediately came forward early this week and asked how she could help. I didn't want to intrude on Susan's life and just let her know that I appreciate her offer and will humbly accept any offers to help. Susan drove us to our medical events three times this week. She certainly took a huge load of the weight off of my back. Thanks Susan!

One of the big problems of this week was having appointments early in the morning and late in the afternoon on the same day. This was stretching me thin.

When we received our radiation treatment schedule on Tuesday we explained this concern to the nurse. But she explained to us that the doctor was quite serious about starting these treatments right away.

She did tell us though that Friday after our CT scan we shouldn't go home but come to the radiation/oncology department, put on our best sad puppy faces, and explain our dilemna.

As I mentioned some days everything goes right, and sometimes, well, ugh...

Friday was unbelievable, incredible really. Susan drove Barb and I into the health campus, about 20-minutes east of Marietta, for my CT scan. I've had many CT scans here through the past few years and there has always been at least a 30-minute wait just to get called back.

Yesterday, unexplicably, there was no one there but me. As soon as I got there they took me back, straight into the scanning room, positioned me on the table, and in a couple minutes it was done.

I walked out stunned, happily stunned. I walked out to the waiting area and saw Barb walking toward the waiting area from another direction, both of us heading toward her Mom.

"Did you have any luck with your sad puppy face?" I asked Barb.

"Yep. We're supposed to go right down there when you're done," she answered.

This was big. This was huge. I could get everything done without having to go home, hang out, take a nap, and then return by 4 p.m. Radiation treatment went smooth, especially considering that one of their machines were down. We were home, and done for the day, by around 10 a.m.

That's a big week in the book.

We're going to have to make use of Barb's powerful sad puppy face in the future, but only for good and never for evil. Maybe she could teach me that face too!

No comments: