Friday, October 23, 2009

Baby Food

When I went in for my radiation treatment yesterday I mentioned to the techs that the day before I started to notice a lump in my throat. I told them that my wife thought that we were told to expect this.

"I hate to tell you this Mr. Albert," the one said. "But your wife is right."

"That's OK," I answered. "She usually is."

I've also been getting really, really sleepy I said to them.

"That's us too," the tech said.

I was glad I asked. At least now I knew that these effects were normal and expected.

After yesterday's treatment the lump in the back of my throat became even more sensitive. I took one bite of dinner last night and there was no way that was going to work. I tried to swallow one small piece of beef and my throat inflamed in incredible pain. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Fortunately Barb and Susan stopped on the way home and picked me up some jello and pudding and apple sauce. I guess I'm on a baby food only diet for the next week or so. I'm sure I'll be dropping a few pounds along the way.

I'm officially laid up now for the next week or so, as I struggle to eat and struggle to stay awake. Radiation is just plain nasty. The body just does not appreciate it at all.

Today's treatment is very early and we'll be getting our act together to get to the health campus. I imagine after today's treatment my throat will be even worse, and I will be even more fatiqued. Fortunately my last radiation treatment will occur on Tuesday.

Here we go!

No comments: