Monday, January 26, 2009

The View is Fine

Last night Barb asked me how much I weighed when I was born.

"Oh, I don't know," I answered. "Just shy of nine-pounds I think.

She made an excruciatingly painful face.

Well I was all head, I told her. I was born with one big, gigantic, fat, pumpkin head.

Most kids had to grow into their baby fat. I had to grow into my big giant head.

Barb started laughing hysterically.

"Sorry," she said, "I was just imagining you learning to crawl or walk and you keep tipping over because of your giant head."

I like being tall. I always have liked being tall. It has its advantages. And, of course it has its pitfalls.

When I played basketball in high school, for away games our team would be set-up in the women's locker room. Well in the women's locker room the shower heads only come up to about my chest.

I do have to buy at least extra-large size shirts so that the shirt will have enough length, even though width wise that usually means I'm swimming in it a little.

People have come up to me already in crowd situations and have asked me if I can find their friends in the crowd.

Once I was out at a crowded club, and I overheard one girl give her friend directions to the bathroom using me as a landmark. I was quite flattered to be a human landmark.

One gentleman I used to work with taught his eldest son to call me "Uncle Tree."

I guess I cast a long shadow.

Being tall does not mean you're tough or strong. It just means you have longer to fall. But there is an intimidation factor that does come with being tall.

I'll never forget being at a party my friends were throwing once. One invited guest had too much to drink and was beginning to become aggressive and destructive. They decided to all grab him and lead him out the door.

Three of my friends jumped on him and somehow steered him outside. There was no sense of confidence in me that this was going to turn out real well. So against my better judgement I said, "I better go see how this is going."

I walked outside to see the drunk bent over like an angry bear with my three friends all hanging off of his back. The drunken angry bear looked up at me, stopped shaking my friends about, and said, "Oh, OK, send the big guy out."

I looked around. What big guy? Oh! Me!

He agreed to sleep it off in his car. Whew, I thought to myself, that guy could have snapped me in two.

Until I bought the FJ Cruiser I never had head room in a car. My head always pressed right against the roof lining.

And planes? Yeah right. I can't afford first class seating and let me tell you those coach seats are not built for people my size. I press into the seat once before take-off and squeeze out after landing, checking how bruised my knees got along the way from the person in front of me smashing their seat into me.

But I like it. The view is great from up here.

Over Christmas we hang our cards along some crown molding between two living areas. Alyssa was looking at the cards when she turned around and asked, "How did you get those up there?"

I walked over and reached up, "Which one do you want to see?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were 9 lbs, 11 oz at birth and 23" long. By the time we brought you home at 5 weeks you were already 12 pounds and 24 1/2" long. From that point on, you were completely off the charts on weight and height sometimes growing 2 inches in a month's time and gaining 2 to 3 pounds. Your head was never big -- in fact on the initial exam at the hospital, your head measured perfectly normal and your Apgar score was 10 which is also perfect and does not happen often. The Apgar score is how soon you cry after being born. Most babies take a deep breath first and then cry -- not you apparently. I have been using you to compare Heather's growth and actually she is ahead of you in height but not weight at the age of 1 1/2. I am seeing a potentially tall girl basketball player in our future. Stick around and see how it all comes out. When you say you haven't changed over the years, you are right on. You were a very quiet baby and a very quiet child --- always analyzing things before you acted on them.

However there was one time in your life when you were not the tallest. In kindergarten, you were the tallest kid in the class. In 5th grade, you were definitely not the tallest. Cindy Bender and some of the other girls were taller than you and now you were coming in as just average in height. That pattern continued through middle school until the summer between 8th and 9th grade when you started to grow by leaps and bounds and almost hit 6 feet. It was between 9th and 10th grade that you really put in the serious growth pattern that finally left you where you are today. In basketball measurements, they listed you at 6'5" so I think when you really stand up straight, that is where you are at even today. Love talking about those days -- hope you have more inquiries along the way. Love MOM