Monday, January 19, 2009

No Way Around It

All morning I've been trying to think of excuses why I shouldn't go outside in the cold today and run through the automated teller at the bank, gas station for a fill-up, butcher shop for meat, and grocery store for everything else.

I can't go out. The squirrels in the backyard scare me.

I'm allergic to cold.

I'm too tall for the grocery store.

I've got nothing.

It's Monday, and it's time to face winter.

I had a very nice weekend hiding from the cold. But now it's time.

I made a batch of my infamous firehouse chili this weekend and it certainly fit the bill and helped Barb and I stay warm inside. Barb doesn't let me make the chili quite as hot as I like. But, as I say, it can be made "mild" or "wild."

I always remember a few years ago I made a batch of my chili for a good friend. I looked over at him while he was eating. Tears were coming out of his eyes. His forehead was covered in beads of sweat.

"This is the best chili I've ever had in my life," he said.

He made me write down a recipe for his wife.

Well the FJ needs to be run in this cold weather, and I guess I need to be run around in it a little too.

Dear Florida...
Please send warm air masses.
Thanks,
Jim

No comments: