Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama

No matter where you turn today you're going to hear something about the Presidential inauguration. I know that many of my family and friends will be cringing through the day, convinced that Obama is going to run our country into ruin.

But I'm happy.

I still believe in our country, very much so. But our country has a lot of room for improvement.

The President really is little more than a symbol. I think that it's way past time that our country's true diversity is represented in this symbolic office.

Most of us in this country are mutts of some kind or another. This country lives and breathes on its expansive middle-class, which carries the weight of everything in this country on its back.

But the voice of the middle-class seems to be lost, even confused.

Obama will bring hope to millions of America. But only millions of Americans can make hope a reality.

Do we still care?

Almost everyday I meet fantastic people. I'm constantly impressed by how great so many people are, strong in faith, strong in work ethic, kind to a fault, just amazing in every way.

But they're mostly unheard and under the radar.

People are more worried about their GPS system than they are worried about the exhorbitant amount of corruption that has taken over Washington. People talk more about yesterday's Oprah show than they do our economic stability.

If you walked into a diner and walked past two gentlemen discussing the big picture of economic principles in modern society you'd probably think to yourself, "What weirdos!"

I try to watch the news and all I see is tidbits on how to lose 20-pounds or resolve my hair loss.

One reality I've come to accept is the simple fact that it is now one world. It's not the United States and those far-away places. It's us, all of us, one big country.

Remember now, the Chinese didn't come here and take our manufacturing. Americans took our manufacturing there. Anything for a buck. Everything is for sale in America.

If we are to turn things around, in my humble opinion, the strength of this country has to take charge of the country again. The middle class has to become informed and involved, all the way down to the community levels.

Greed and manipulation has been allowed to run wild disguised as Democracy and freedom.

Gone is the village with the baker, the butcher, the candlestick maker.

Now we face one global village, and there really is no pulling back, although I still believe in the village concept at the smallest level also.

Look at it this way...if Chinese workers enjoyed the pay and lifestyles we did would any manufacturing work still be sent there? If the playing field was truly even? Well then let's work towards making it even.

If your home country had what our country has would you still be interested in immigrating here? And leave your family, your friends, and everything you grew up with and know? Well then let's work towards making it even.

For some reason we have a problem with immigration from Mexico, but not from Canada. I've never heard anyone complaining about all those crazy Canadians sneaking across the border.

I'm rambling.

And I'll stop.

But I hope we can take some symbolism from today's historic inauguration and get ourselves, the middle class, back involved. Churches, schools, baseball leagues, sub sales, getting to know our neighbors and coming together to get things done.

I know all the right folks are out there. Don't wait for Obama, or anyone else. Let's do it ourselves, together.

No comments: