Saturday, November 22, 2008

Wine and Worry

Every year at around this time of year my parents join friends and head for the Finger Lakes region of Western New York.

And every year it snows.

And every year I worry about them driving through all this slick stuff.

They left yesterday in the midst of our first significant snow of the season. I wasn't pleased to hear about accident after accident, as the roads froze last evening into "black ice" conditions. I was even less pleased to hear that a bridge over the Susquehanna River closed in Harrisburg due to four accidents on the bridge.

I'll be thinking about them until I hear that they're home safe and sound.

The Finger Lakes region is New York's wine area. The vineyards there open themselves all up to tours and tastings. I wish they would do it in September.

Barb and I have no reasons to go out into the cold today. So we won't.

My English soccer team Newcastle plays number on Chelsea in five minutes, and I hope they're not too embarassed.

Penn State tries to upend Michigan State at 3:30 p.m. for a trip to the Rose Bowl. I am so tired of the BCS rankings system for college football. Just take the top 16 teams and have a playoff and it will be one of the most exciting and watched events in sports.

And Oklahoma plays Texas Tech tonight, that's number two versus number five.

So it's a pretty darn good sports day.

I still have some things to do today. But the day after chemo is always a little lazy.

Barb's getting ready to make a couple pumpkin rolls for Thanksgiving at her sister's home tomorrow.

I am sooooooo ready. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - all of the food, family, and friends, with none of the presents.

No comments: