Saturday, November 1, 2008

Chemo Cool





Photo of the Day
Leaving for my chemo treatment yesterday.


Understandably there are a lot of long, solemn, worried faces inside the cancer center.

Smiles inside there are worth a million dollars. The staff and nurses do an outstanding job at keeping everything lighthearted. A little joy there can really go a long way.

I decided that since it was Halloween yesterday I could do a little something to pay the staff and nurses back for all the smiles and help they've given to Barb and I. Yes, I dusted off my giant afro wig and wore it into the cancer center yesterday, right through the front door, into the waiting area, and eventually into the chemo room.

It was an interesting social experiment. Others in the waiting area, who didn't know me, didn't know exactly what to make of me. Of course I kept a straight face like nothing was odd or out of sorts.

But once the staff and nurses started to notice they laughed out loud and beamed with smiles.

That made me smile. My mission was accomplished.

One after another, nurses noticed me and my big rockin' hair and couldn't hold back the laughter.

Smiles are my favorite thing to create.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what's so different about this hair and the "real" hair you had in your college years -- just a little darker that's all. I used to laugh a lot too at your hair -- it was funny only you didn't see the humor in it back then. Loved you anyway -- MOM