Friday, August 1, 2008

Good Morning Friday

I was out and about in the FJ Cruiser early this morning, all showered and out the door before 7 a.m.

It was a nice morning, still a little summer haze in the air. I hit the back roads headed for the Norlanco Medical Center to have some blood drawn. I was on fasting restrictions to check cholesterol levels, and the other two regular tests which check blood counts, and liver and kidney functions. I have to have the blood tests every Friday before they will start the chemo.

The corn is getting high. The smell of fresh manure was in the air. Traffic was thicker than usual and big tractor trailers were ruining the morning mood of Lancaster County countryside.

I turned up the CD player and searched for my G. Love and Special Sauce music. I only sing in the car. It's better for everyone that way.

I'm in the Norlanco Medical Center every Friday but still everyone in there seems to act like they don't know me. At the Cancer Center at the Health Campus everyone knows us and says "Hi" when we walk in. They should give me a time card. It's like I work there.

I always try to keep things light and make people smile when I go out and about.

This week when we went to the grocery store we passed a Mom who had her two boys in her grocery cart. One was in the small top rack and one was in the main area of the cart.

"What aisle did you find those in?" I asked as we passed her.

She laughed.

Barb whispered, "Behave yourself!"

I was eager to get some Albert Design Studio work going again this week. And a couple days ago I got thrown right into some.

A printer in Harrisburg sends me web work when they stumble across it. They were working with the Harrisburg Hilton to update a site that I had originally created. For weeks the two parties (both who understand nothing about the web) argued back and forth about how to get things done. Finally they brought me into the mix and I got tossed right into the middle of it.

Turns out that both parties were extremely frustrated and at each other's throats. I immediately was able to answer all the frustrations and by Monday will have the updates done. I'll be working hard come Monday to make peace and bring everyone back together.

I was eager to start working again. But I wasn't necessarily talking about this side of the business. Ugh.

I've always been a mellow, laid back guy. But there would be work situations that would arise that would bring out the worst in me. No one tells a surgeon where to cut. But everyone tells an artist what looks best.

One great lesson cancer has brought to my life is to not let daily, little, stupid things worry me. Life is life, and death is death, and getting all worried and upset about things never helps one bit. I just smile, joke, and try to keep it all in perspective.

Sure, I've had to be firm with customer service reps with my health insurer. I've had to stand up and get attention from doctors. And even yesterday I had to listen to a company owner tell me "They don't know who they're messing with!"

No biggie. No worries. I think we all have to remember that the little human games we've made for ourselves is not really what the big picture is really all about.

No comments: