Monday, August 18, 2008

The Bocce' Ball Diaries

I sat out on Steve and Maria's deck yesterday, smells of a grill filling the air, just taking in their breathtaking view of eastern York. Puffy clouds filled the crisp blue skys, stationary in the sky like it was a painting.

It was where I wanted to be, just soaking it all in.

It reminded me of home. It reminded me of the top of the hill on Golf Road. Growing up with views of the whole valley stretched out as far as the eye can see in every direction.

(sigh)

It was a nice, relaxing day yesterday. We helped Charlie break a glass, spill a soda, and break-in his parents' new house. We all got together with Alyssa, Charlie, Susan, Bill, Debbie, Jay and last but certainly not least, little Ellis, at the invitation of Maria, Steve and Guitano.

It was great being able to all get together and share some laughs and share some food and share some stories. We even got to see Debbie with her Gene Simmons hair.

I dusted off the Bocce' balls and took them along just in case. It's been years since I've played. And I was lucky enough to stir up a game yesterday after lunch.

My very first experience with Bocce' was when I went to Ireland as a young teenager. Every Sunday, in a park next to my host family's home, older gentleman gathered to lawn bowl on pristine grass courts all day long. I thought it was so cool.

According to Alyssa, the courts weren't too pristine yesterday. But it was still very competitive, and still lots of fun. Bill and Guitano dominated the courts. But it was co-ed Bocce' ball and Barb and I are still considering an appeal.

A big thanks to Maria, Steve and Guitano for getting me out of Marietta and into the sun yesterday, and for the hospitality and great food and fun and friendship.

No comments: