Sunday, August 31, 2008

It Takes a Village . . .

I'm an introvert. I don't like to be the center of attention.

I take after my Dad. I remember when he became the controller at the pharmaceutical plant in Myerstown he had to travel to New York City about once a month to report to the big bosses. He hated to do that, stand-up in front of everyone and give a talk on progress in Myerstown.

I understand how he felt. That wouldn't be my cup of tea either.

I've probably blogged about this subject before. But with what I've dealt with these past couple years I continue to be touched by the support all around me, and this for a guy who has spent most of his life trying to escape attention.

It has really made me aware of the value of a community, especially a small community like Myerstown where I grew up.

For some reason, I have no idea why, I seem to be a memorable character. Wherever I go, whatever I do, people just seem to remember me. I imagine for some people this would be a great thing. But for me it's a little embarassing. I am just a shy, quiet guy.

I guess maybe because I'm such a big goofball, a living, breathing, cartoon character, it makes me stand-out. I don't know. But I'm constantly amazed by how people I've only met once seem to remember me like we were life-long friends.

By the time I graduated high school I would be recognized all around Myerstown. It made me uncomfortable.

Once I spun the wheels of the family's yellow Chevy Impala station wagon at a stop sign and to my horror the hub cap came off and rolled up into the front yard of a home. I stopped quickly and ran after the hub cap. I noticed a gentleman sitting on his front porch.

"Sorry about that," I said.

He nodded and then asked "Does your Dad know you drive like that?"

Gulp. No matter what bonehead thing I would do everyone would seem to know about it.

In many ways it's why I left Myerstown. I wanted to be anonymous, a fly on the wall, the guy in the back of the room in the shadows.

But with all the support I've received through this cancer fight I've realized the awesome power and value of the community, of the church family. I've realized how wrong I was to consider being a recognized member of a community a burden, when it was actually a blessing.

I always remember a friend of our family telling me, after I returned from a few years living in Philly, "You're just like I was. I thought I had to leave Myerstown to pursue the things I wanted in life. Then, finally, I realized that I had everything I needed all around me the whole time."

If I could do it all again I'm not sure if I would have done it any differently. Afterall, my introverted, shy personality would still be the same. It's who I am. But with what I've learned through this cancer fight, all the unbelievable support I have received that just amazes me more and more everyday - who knows, maybe I would have chosen to become more involved, be more like all the great people who have shown their support for me. You're all heroes to me.

And hey, there's still time. Maybe it's time for me to shed that shyness and be the man I should be.

No comments: