Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Junk Man Cometh

I did some things yesterday that I don't think I would have been able to do over the past year and a half.

I couldn't have done it without Barb's help. But it was quite physical work for me all the same.

Since we moved into this old house in Marietta we've been working on the house and collecting junk in our basement. It was junk that was too much for the weekly garbage pick-ups. It would require a call to the junk man to haul away.

The former owners of the house left us with six window air conditioners. Four of them failed over the years. We had two large televisions that were old and broken down. We had all kinds of stuff, including a huge pile of insulation we pulled from the attic because it was incorrectly installed directly to the roof.

Yesterday we finally hauled it all out of the house to one parking spot out back where the junk man is due to pick it up this morning, 40-minutes from now.

I took it slow, but steady, and overall I'd say it felt good to work up a little sweat and do such physical work. We were both tired and filthy by the time it was all hauled out and piled up out back.

Barb was scheduled to make us chicken parmagania and spaghetti last night. But I said, "Hey, let's just go out to eat. We earned it." She didn't argue a bit.

Now we've lost a lot of good restaurants lately. Josephine's was one of the top three restaurants in all of Central Pennsylvania, often winning the top-rating overall and best French restaurant in the area. It was incredible. The owner retired and it's now twice as expensive and half the restaurant it used to be.

The Railroad House was incredible because of its owner/chef. But he had to sell the place due to his wife's cancer. Now it's quite disappointing, and nowhere close to the quality it once was.

This past year Mosby's in Mt. Joy sold and I was certain that another local favorite had fallen. Barb and I went there last night to check it out for ourselves.

I am very proud to report that Mosby's is as good as ever, maybe even a little better. I'm sure my cousin in Florida will be thrilled to hear that the chicken wings are still the best around, bar none. And Barb fully recommends the Snickers Pie. lol

No comments: