Thursday, July 31, 2008

Pushing It

We went out on the bikes again yesterday. My second ride in more than a year.

My coordination and balance isn't what it used to be yet. But I didn't crash into anything. It's coming back to me little by little.

The toughest part is when I try to turn my head to look over my shoulder to check on Barb behind me, or to check on traffic behind us. Then I lose my balance a little bit and have to make sure to keep the line of the bike straight. But that's always been the most difficult part of balance on the bike.

At least my behind doesn't have to get used to the little bike seat, since I've been riding the bike inside on the trainer somewhat.

When we first bought the bikes and started riding the toughest thing to get used to was the little bike seat.

Once I had my car up for work at Marietta Motors just outside of town, and when it was ready I rode my bike up to pick it up. The crew in there recognizes me and they all seemed to watch me ride up to their little office. When I stepped through the door I rubbed my rear end and said, "Man, were bike seats that small when I was a kid." They all howled with laughter.

We live in the middle of town and yesterday decided to head the opposite direction from my initial ride - toward the boat launch. I used to know all the roads and alleys by heart. But this time I forgot that one alley, next to an abandoned steel foundry is littered with pot holes. It was a bumpy two-blocks.

Twice before the access road to the boat launch I considered asking Barb if we could turn around. But I really wanted to reach the boat launch and decide that I would push it further.

The access road to the boat launch is all downhill. So no sweat, I coasted in nicely and we made it. Some men were launching a couple boats to go fishing. The river took over the horizon, with a thick, humid, morning haze over it.

(Sigh) I missed this view.

We soaked it all in for a minute or two. We traded conversation about how no one was minding the weeds around the boat launch this summer. We noticed a new house across the river that must have recently been built. Then we took off back towards home.

Barb led the way and I worked hard to keep up with here. Dang, my wife is speedy. With her coasting now and again to be kind to me, I kept the pace.

I was winded and felt thick through the thighs when we got back home. It was early morning but the air was already quite humid, and I was covered in a thin layer of perspiration. It really felt good.

No comments: