Sunday, August 10, 2008

Everything's Different, But the Same

When you have cancer you find yourself doing things a little differently, talking about things you wouldn't ordinarily talk about, everything's a little different, but still the same.

"How was the bathroom visit?" Barb asked me this morning.

"It was awesome!" I answered with over-the-top enthusiasm.

"I'm not going any further with that," she laughed.

Never thought I'd be discussing that with Barb. But cancer changes things just a little. Who knows? Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.

I'm a little more cautious on the bike now, not as confident to speed through a downhill turn, or snap my head around to spy traffic and Barb and dogs and kids on skateboards.

I'm a little slower now, in everything. I'm the last to finish eating in any group at any time.

For the first time since I was about three-years-old, you can see my ears, they're not covered with hair.

I do believe that I am generally more thoughtful now, stuff like cancer makes you thiink about stuff. I believe this has made my work the best it has ever been. I'm now driven by quality of life, of content, and care much less about profit margin. We all still have to worry about that at some point, well except maybe Britany Spears.

I've envisioned a future where there will be no American Economy, just a world economy. Everyone will compete equally at common monetary scales. Everything will be global.

It's already happening in the design field.

There are several good, legitimate internet sites that allow businesses to list free-lance work and vice-versa. A few of these sites target graphic design work. The sites are littered with bids from India and Brazil, and they are taking in the work at shockingly low prices.

I used one of these sites once to find a programmer to add final touches to an e-commerce effort once. I would not work with someone outside the U.S. though. I found a firm in Seattle who was great.

But with time the prices will level out, I think. It's just a matter of how much time, the new world order of equality, if we all don't kill each other first.

No comments: