Saturday, August 1, 2009

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

Before cancer came to town, I was as guilty as anyone as being part of the rat race. It's hard not to be a part of it.

But interestingly enough, cancer does have it's up side. It forces you to slow down and appreciate things.

The American way has really become bigger, faster, more. We have become a big, fat slob constantly gorging ourselves as fast as we can discarding our leftovers sloppily on the floor around us.

There is little time for thoughtfulness anymore. We need to work, work, work, make as much money as possible for bigger houses, bigger cars. We're obsessed with material things.

We are a powerful influence around the world. As time passes we are slowly converting other countries to our way as well. Greed drives us to empty, man-made objectives. We're constantly in a race for the golden calf.

I know this is a subject I've touched on before. But it is one that just keeps coming back to me.

I was never much for material things. Unlike many people, I was never impressed by "sparkly" things. My Dad was a great role model to that regard. Even though he rose to be the head man at a larger pharmaceutical plant he never let the extra money change his basic self. He still drove the old Rambler to work everyday, held together by putty to cover the rusted holes. He still took a sandwich to work everyday in a paper bag.

But I was a part of the rat race regardless. I worked many hours, went out with my friends, slept little, and woke up and did it again. I didn't take time out to do much else.

Cancer slowed me down though. It has made me more thoughtful, and more deliberate. Suddenly I was taking the time to enjoy and appreciate everything around me.

I've been on all kinds of boats. Speed boats are loud and stir up the water. You really see little of the environment around you. My favorite boat is a canoe. You can silently glide through the water, not scaring any wildlife away, enjoying everything around you, really soaking it in.

When Barb and I bought bikes it was a great experience for us. We biked down streets and alleys and parts of town we never would have visited in a car. And let's face it, there's not much time to soak in the scenery when you're driving these days. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Slowing down, taking my time, not being part of the rat race, helped me truly enjoy this wonderful world around us much, much more.

I still worked after my cancer diagnosis. But I noticed that I wasn't racing through work anymore. I was patient. I was thoughtful.

I always had bosses barking at me, "Are you done yet? Are you done yet?" And that attitude was instilled in me. But, no longer, and the work became even better, and more enjoyable, and healthier for me as a whole.

I just started reading the book "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" which Barb's Mom kindly picked up for me. In the author's opening preface he lists the important aspects of kindergarten that he uses to guide his life. Two of those things that I really like are: take time for milk and cookies; and take time for an afternoon nap.

I know it's difficult to not get caught up in the rat race, to sprint through everyday so fast that everything is just a blur by evening. But if slowing down means less money, a smaller house, a cheaper car, it will come with it's rewards as well.

No comments: