Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bob, Dad and I

Word from South Florida is that my Uncle Bob has been discharged from the hospital and is back home. He is under the care of a home care nurse. He will be facing a couple weeks of recovery.

Being a typical stubborn Albert man, Bob probably won't be patient with his recovery. I know I wasn't after my surgery. But I do hope he takes it easy on himself, listens to the physicians, and takes some time to heal properly.

It looks more and more like my Dad will only be able to come home for visits. The doctor really wants him to stay in the nursing center. It's a tough call. There's no doubt that my Dad would be more comfortable at home. But there's also no doubt that my Dad would find a way to fall and injure himself again if he was home.

I'm relaxing today after Gamma Knife radiation treatment yesterday. It was a good day for me.

First, the doctors informed me that there was no new growth. Whew. This I was more worried about than anything else. So this was great news.

Second, the doctors told me that everything that was treated last time had either completely disappeared or greatly receded. This too was great news. Typically the poisoning of the tumors by the radiation acts a bit more gradually. So this was great news.

Also, my treatment yesterday went smoothly. They took me first this time and we were home by noon.

Yes, my head is still sore and very numb from the medication. Sleeping was very difficult last night. My shower this morning should be even more interesting. I predict a lot of grimacing and strange faces.

The Albert men will keep working at it. There are always ups and downs in life. But we'll keep approaching it with a positive attitude, the best we can, like any good Pennsylvania Dutchman would.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Three cheers for the Albert men!

Anonymous said...

The are a good bunch these Albert men!!! Here's to all of them:

GET WELL SOON