Monday, August 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

I got to talk to my Dad a little yesterday. He's pretty darn lucid about a lot of things. But he still gets a bit confused on details.

Overall he was in good spirits when I spoke with him. He did keep referring to his "new" home, and I could tell he didn't enjoy life in that "new" home. At one point he just said that there is nothing to do.

I tried to remind him of my status, which he does always seem to remember. I reminded him that in some ways he and I are kind of in the same boat. I can't do everything I'd like to do and definitely live with restrictions. I tried to tell him that I wake up everyday and try to focus on the positive. I focus on all that is good, rather than that which is bad. I try to smile and laugh. I asked him to please try to do the same.

He didn't disagree. And I do know how tough it can be.

But during the same conversation he also wanted to ask me something about my son. Of course I don't have a son. But he was sure that he had seen my son frequently at his "new" home as of late.

I don't mind having patience with him, and gently working with him through some of his confusion. He is my Dad, my hero, the man I look up to more than anyone else, afterall. And I can relate to his pains and frustrations of being disabled in such a strong and fast world all around us.

I'm heading for another chemo treatment early tomorrow afternoon. The double dosage of the chemo has definitely caused me more fatique. But everyone, including me, is in agreement that if I need a nap everyday to help beat this cancer down, than that is a small price to pay.

And Freckles is thrilled to take a mid-day nap with me everyday.

My shoulder has been getting better, which is good news. I still have pain when I stretch this way or reach that way. But the pain is not nearly as bad as it used to be. I'm not reaching for the pain pills any longer.

Saturday I started some simple stretching and a little riding on the stationary bike. I'm going to continue that this morning and try to keep it up everyday, with Sundays off.

Alyssa, Charlie, Susan and Bill are all due back from the shore today. Barb and I wish them safe trips, and hope they had a good relaxing time.

No comments: