Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chemo and Fresh Peaches

I do love this time of year. I prefer summer time. I prefer the heat. Plus, this is the time of year when there is fresh produce everywhere, and there's nothing better than that.

We have tomatoes growing on one of our back decks and they're starting to ripen. I can just slice one up, dust it with a little bit of salt, maybe a couple drops of olive oil, and WOW, there's is just nothing in any store that will equal that flavor.

Plus people kindly keep dropping off fresh produce off for me to dig into - sweet corn, tomatoes, green peppers, zucchini, watermelon, cantelope, nectarines, and as of yesterday...PEACHES!

I love fresh local peaches. I can just bite into one and let the juices just run down my chin. Who cares if it's a sticky mess? It's so good.

A man can get spoiled around this time of year. Too soon the season will pass, the temperatures will fall, and it will be back to frozen vegetables for me.

Today is chemo day...every other Tuesday. Barb and I will first meet with the oncologist to review and discuss how things are going. Then he'll give me a physical exam. Then we'll be sent to the treatment room for the IV.

The first IV lasted an hour-and-a-half, the next an hour, and this one is supposed to be for only half-an-hour. All of the following treatments on this drug are planned to be 30-minutes. That's a very short time for a chemo treatment. So I can't complain about that at all.

I have been feeling stronger. But I do know that I have a few weeks yet for further improvements.

I also feel fairly busy right now with several projects, and yes of course one of those is ongoing disputes with my health insurance company. There are few days that there isn't some kind of issue with my health insurer. They're such a mess. If I was in a business relationship with any other company that ran their business like they do, I'd be shopping around for another company to do business with. But because of my pre-existing condition I'm stuck and have no where else to go. I think they realize that.

Well...I think it's time for a peach. Don't you think so?

No comments: