Monday, August 3, 2009

Bob and Paul

My cousin has always been able to summarize things very well.

One year we went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina right after a couple of bull shark attacks occured just north of where we were staying. One of the first things we do when we arrive at the Outer Banks is jump in the ocean.

In true form my cousin and I ran down to the water's edge just after arrival at our rented house. We both looked at each other, knowing what the other was thinking without words.

My cousin said to me, "Hey, I still go outside everyday even though I could be struck by lightning." In we went.

His father my Uncle Bob is scheduled for surgery this morning to his abdomen to address a benign blockage. His take on it, "Well you know our parents are getting older, and so are we."

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob and Mary and the entire family today. My thoughts will be with them throughout the day. I'm sure Bob will pull through it like the champ he is.

When my Dad was admitted to Hershey Medical Center early this Spring, Bob came up to visit for a week, to see how he could support us. I remember the doctor trying to explain things to my Dad. But my Dad wasn't understanding everything that well. Bob would use sign language to explain what the doctor was saying to my Dad. It was nothing for them since they've been using sign language most of their lives. But, for me, it was something to see.

My Dad came home yesterday for a visit. According to my Mom he did very well at home. He was obviously glad to be home. The family is strongly considering bringing him home for good, and hiring a home-care worker to help out.

Although there are some risks bringing him home. I do think that this could be in his best interest, and hopefully not wear my Mom down too much.

I remember when I was in the hospital after my surgery. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I could never relax. There was always things going on around me. People were constantly coming into my room, people I didn't know. There were beeps and flashing lights and unknown noises. I remember telling my doctor, "A hospital is no place for sick people." Surprisingly, he agreed.

In the skilled nursing home my Dad faces the same things daily. It makes you grouchy. It makes you want to get out of there. It's impossible to be comfortable. We think that at home at least he would be surrounded by the comforts of home.

Because of his dementia we will have to be careful. Will he try to take out the trash? Will he try to drive the car? Will he start something on the stove and then forget about it? Will he fall again?

Maybe.

But the more I have thought about it, the more I think it's worth the risk because it is what my Dad would want. He would want to be home no matter what the circumstance.

So our thoughts are with the Albert families today, as they always are. We might not touch base with one another every day. We are spread out between here and Florida now, and now longer all in Myerstown. But we've always been a close knit bunch who've always respected and admired one another.

No comments: