Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Staying Active

Cleaned up the dreary yard yesterday. Thank goodness for the leaf blower. It's a noisy beast, but it gets the job done without wrenching my back.

It's good to stay active even with the simplest of tasks. A little exercise keeps us all going a bit stronger.

I don't understand it. But with every passing year here I lose more and more of my grass. I'm baffled.

I do have a theory that our large trees, which shade virtually the entire yard, are sucking up all the water and not letting enough sun through.

Or it could be a drainage problem since the area that is the worst in the yard is the area that floods the most.

Or it could be that we spread weed killer for the first time this summer. And maybe the yard wasn't really grass but a lot of weeds.

Maybe it's a little bit of all three. In the Spring the yard will fill with grass, and as the Summer progresses it recedes from the house down the yard.

I joke that maybe I should just turn the entire yard into plantings and a little forest scene. But we'd both like to have a little bit of yard - thick, green, wonderful grass.

Have to pull myself together quickly this morning so we can get out to visit an architectural salvage warehouse in York. Builders and renovators donate historical architectural pieces for others to buy and use. It's a neat idea, especially for a couple in a 200-year-old house. We're looking for some door hardware, cabinet hardware and a few miscellaneous items. If I find something really unique I might grab it and turn it into wall art.

I'm off and running...

No comments: