Thursday, September 4, 2008

It's Scan Day

I'm sitting here blogging while drinking my "Berry Smoothie Readi-Cat 2 - Barium Sulfate Suspension."

I like how they try to make it sound good by calling it a "Berry Smoothie." Well, hey, at least it came with a neat "bendy" straw.

I have to drink two bottles of this stuff, about 32-ounces, across two-hours before my scans today of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. This smoothie stuff fills up my belly so it lights up on the scan. I'm not allowed to have anything else, not even a cup of coffee.

The alarm went off at 5:15 a.m. this morning and I jumped into the shower by 5:45 a.m. so I could start drinking the smoothie. The scan is scheduled for 8:15 a.m. this morning.

After the scan I have to go for bloodwork. I'm hoping that fasting, dehydration, the smoothie, and the contrast dye they inject into me during the scans, does not have a negative effect on my bloodwork.

I'm planning on taking a banana along to eat between the scans and the bloodwork.

Although I'll come out of the health campus hungry and ready to eat. There will be no stopping at Burger King. I've finally learned my lesson and have come to realize that the "smoothie" stuff and Burger King do not make good friends. I'll get home and try to drink lots of water and find something soft to munch on.

We're scheduled to meet with the oncologist tomorrow at 10:15 a.m. before my scheduled chemo treatment. We're hoping that the results of today's scans will be ready by then. And, of course, we're hoping for more positive results. I'm expecting good results actually.

Well back to the berry smoothie.

No comments: