Friday, September 26, 2008

Rainy Friday

Alyssa and Charlie typically come over for dinner every Thursday. Barb had asked Alyssa, since it's their anniversary week, what special dinner they would like.

"Anything you want," Barb told Alyssa. "We'll make it."

"Chicken and waffles!" exclaimed Alyssa.

Chicken and waffles? That's odd.

Well we never have made chicken and waffles before. Well I still haven't made it. Barb took control. It turned out pretty good I must say. I cleaned off my plate. You could have put my plate right back into the cupboard.

I guess Alyssa just had chicken and waffles on her mind when Barb asked her what she wanted.

Chicken and waffles?

Well the butt is still a little sore from my fall down the steps. I don't think I'm helping it any by mowing and raking the yard earlier this week, or by taking four boxes full of books to the library in Mt. Joy yesterday.

Librarians have a reputation for being a little mean. The librarian in Mt. Joy was no disappointed. Man was she mean. Her face wore a permanent scowl. She barked out answers to questions.

When I pulled around back to drop off the books I caught her in my rearview mirror. She was angrily waving her arms about, trying to direct me to the back door. I just parked and got out and said, "It's OK, I can carry them for you from here."

I set the first box down and she asked, "Are these books moldy? Because we don't take moldy books!"

Moldy? No they're not moldy. There's actually some really nice books in here.

We just wanted to donate books to the library for one of their periodic book auctions that benefit the library. I love libraries. I have often gotten lost in libraries for hours upon hours. At Ohio University our library was six stories tall, seven if you count the basement.

Scary, mean librarian treating our attempt at generosity as some kind of great evil. I felt like telling her, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," holding one finger to my lips.

Out for chemo today on this rainy Friday. I'm scheduled for a mid-morning treatment, my favorite time. I don't have to play in rush hour traffic, but I still get home in time to try to make something of the day.

Today we shall see if all the rich, corrupt politicians in Washington can figure out a way to regulate all the rich, corrupt power brokers on Wall Street. Oh this should be interesting.

No comments: