Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nervously Into the Day

As I begin to write this blog the markets are about to open. The remarkable drop of the markets this year have sucked millions of dollars out of the economy. The question is when will the drop stop. It just feels to me that it won't be anytime soon. So how long will we all wait until we pull it all out just to stop the bleeding?

We'll see. They say what goes up must come down. Hopefully what comes down is also inclined to go back up.

It amazes me how dependent and intertwined financial markets have become, not just nationally but worldwide. It's like starting a line of dominos.

But otherwise it's a beautiful week in Pennsylvania. Fair weather, mild temperatures, dry air with no humidity, it's ideal for just about anything one might want to do.

Yesterday Barb and I went for a drive, in hunt of a nice chair to use in one of the front rooms of the house, living side or office side of the property. We stopped at a store called "Interiors" and immediately I started laughing out loud at the ridiculous prices.

I know I'm just a simple misplaced Amish surfer beach bum, but $3,000 for a simple, upholstered arm chair? LOL It still makes me giggle. I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

A sales rep quickly caught us and we were bombarded by the sales pitch, special offers, and a "secret" sale this weekend that we were "exclusively" invited to attend.

I told the rep politely that I wasn't in the market for $3,000 chairs. But I was in the market for some nice chairs for our house.

He told me that I better stay away from the other end of the showroom because that's where the really expensive stuff was. I guess some people just don't feel good unless they can seriously overpay for things.

"Hey Bob, do you want to see the $3,000 chair I just bought?"

The sales rep did show us the outlet area. In the outlet furniture was randomly aligned, and stacked on large racks up to the ceiling. This definitely wasn't Kansas (the showroom) anymore.

Most of the stuff was pretty ugly. Up on one rack, beyond our reach was an overstuffed leather club chair and it looked like it had been marked down five different times from a $1,900 original price to it's current $330 price.

The rep called out some muscle from the nearby loading dock and pulled the chair down for us to inspect. We tried it out. It was comfy, real comfy. It had one little chip on one of the small legs to the chair, which was invisible really until you turned the chair on its side.

We took measurements. It was going to be close but it looked like it would fit in the FJ Cruiser, and it seemed like it would fit through the front door.

With help from the loading dock we loaded it in the truck. It was a perfect fit. It couldn't have been an inch bigger.

Now nothing is standard in this old house in Marietta. All of our doors are different widths, all of them, really. The front doors are the two narrowest doors of all, but the chair slid through nicely, with no scuffs.

We're both happy and feel like we got a good deal.

The rest of the day yesterday if Barb or I could not find the other, we went straight to the front room of the office to find the other getting comfy in the new chair.

We're easily entertained. LOL

Well at least we have a comfy spot where we can sit back and watch the markets fall today. Ugh.

No comments: