Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lazy Day

I came home from chemo yesterday and just barely made it in the house and upstairs to the bedroom before quickly falling asleep for a two-hour nap.

It's officially a nap if you're on top of the covers with street clothing on. If you crawl under the covers that automatically becomes more than a nap.

I receive an IV bag of Benadryl before the IV bag of chemo to avoid allergic reactions to the chemo infusion. It also makes me very sleepy.

I've never actually fallen asleep in the chemo room. Many patients do fall asleep. Barb keeps me active with crossword puzzles, and often a soft pretzel from the hospital snack bar.

I wouldn't want to fall asleep in the chemo room. Barb tells me that I snore, so I don't want to be keeping all the other patients up. Plus, I don't trust the nurses. I might wake up with a magic marker moustache (just kidding...I think).

After the Benadryl wears off, typically by Saturday morning, I'm good to go again. I'm back into action.

But today is a lazy day. It's cool and it's raining. It's not the kind of day to go outside if you don't have to. And I don't have to.

We're just going to hang out and do things around the house today...just relax.

My soccer team, Newcastle United, has lost again today. The club is in complete disarray. The owner is selling the team after the manager left and now all of the best players are asking to be moved to other clubs. What a mess!

The Phillies though are just one win away from taking the division. We're worried that they might get rained out today with all of this foul weather. Then, I guess, it would all come down to a double header tomorrow. It's fun, exciting stuff.

Barb and I have noticed that one of our favorite Phillies, Shane Victorino, has an unusual habit - he's always dirty. The other day I said to Barb, "I think Victorino manages to get dirty before the game even starts."

Just then he came to the plate for his first at bat of the game. He had a stretch of dirt from his chest to about mid-thigh. We laughed and laughed and laughed. He's our kind of guy.

No comments: