Monday, September 8, 2008

Abstract

I've always liked abstract art. I know most people look at it and say, "What the heck is that?"

But abstract art still evokes emotions, even if it is disgust. The colors, shapes, textures all can create mood and feelings. Once you look at it as nothing more than simple graphic arrangements, organized or not, you can actually pick-out abstract art that you may like, or not care for.

This week I found myself in an art store and grabbed a pre-stretched canvas, a pretty large one. I've been telling Barb that at some point I want us to make a painting together, an abstract painting, dancing around the canvas splashing paint randomly.

This weekend a couple years of talking about it, turned into actually doing it.

I couldn't find my blue paint, which is important because it left me without one of the primary colors. From the primary colors I can mix any other color in the world. But I wouldn't be denied.

We worked a background onto the canvas, blending a sage green into white and then yellow, then blending the yellow into a red to create an orange transition. We brushed. We dabbed. We smeared. It looked good. But too much of the blending I took over. The painting needed more Barb.

So I set Barb up with a smaller brush, loaded with paint.

"Just dance around and jiggle that brush," I told her.

Dancing about she splashed paint onto the canvas. "Like this?" she asked.

"Perfect."

It looks pretty good. We let it dry over night and then hung it over our headboard this morning.

There are so many ways to create artwork for our walls. We've just begun. And we've got a lot of open walls yet to tackle.

No comments: