Friday, September 5, 2008

Philadelphia Phans

I remember speaking to a gentleman from St. Louis once and he asked me, "What is wrong with Philadelphia fans? They're miserable."

He went on to tell me how nice fans were in St. Louis, how they never boo, just cheer on both teams.

What?

Jimmy Rollins recently got in trouble by calling Philadelphia fans "front runners." By that he meant that they're fairweather fans, they only care when Philadelphia is winning. Not only did he choose the wrong term, but he's a little confused.

Win or lose Philadelphia fans pack the stadiums, for baseball, football, basketball, hockey, they come out and they stay out to the bitter end, win or lose.

I mean the Florida Marlins are having a decent season and they had an attendance of 600 the other night. You'll never see that in Philadelphia.

I love Philadelphia sports fans. I think they're the best in the world. You have to understand the passion of Philly fans. They want to win so bad, as much as the players, if not sometimes more.

If you're a losing team in Philly it's got to be one of the toughest places to play. But if you're a winning team in Philly it's got to be one of the greatest places to play. They care! If I was a professional athelete that's where I would want to be. For the winners in Philadelphia, they are immortalized, heroes to the city forever.

When I was young there was no British soccer available to watch in the U.S. I tried to follow the league best I could, and of course searched for a specific team I could follow.

I read that a club called Newcastle United had crazy fans that always packed the stadium and supported their club with great loyalty. They were tough fans who demanded results. Although the club rarely achieved trophies, the loyalty of the fans never waivered.

This reminded me of Philadelphia fans and I immediately attached myself to Newcastle United and have followed them since. They've achieved, at best, minor successes through the years, but I've still been loyal.

I don't know if I can explain it. I guess people either understand it or they don't. But Philly folks care, they take it to heart, winning will make them dance and cheer, and losing will ruin their whole week.

When I lived in Philly I distinctly remember watching a Philadelphia Eagles game in my apartment. When the Eagles made great plays the whole block erupted in cheers and jubilation.

I also remember Philly fans pounding Dallas Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson with snowballs as he ran off the field, not to mention the snowball pounding they gave to Santa Claus one year.

They're not perfect. But they let their emotions show. They care.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: