Monday, May 26, 2008

To Remember

A friend I graduated high school with was interested in attending West Point, and West Point expressed interest in him.

He was invited, with his father, to spend a day and a night on the West Point campus. At 6 a.m. they were awaken from their beds by a huge "BANG!" They asked the first person they saw, "What was that?"

"Oh that's the cannon they fire every morning at 6 a.m."

My friend decided right then that the Army wasn't for him.

And the military certainly has never been my cup of tea. But I am glad that it is somebody's.

With our military actively involved in conflict on the other side of the world, all the attention still lands in Washington watching Congress. It's not really where the attention is deserved though.

To me the attention, and praise, should be focused on all those soldiers who have no side in the daily debates, but daily risk their lives without questions for our freedoms and ways of life. To all the families who give of their loved ones to serve and protect us, my attention is continuously drawn.

Troop surges, troop withdrawls, just remember our troops this Memorial Day, especially those who have gave the ultimate of sacrifices.

Often times when people approach me to let me know how sorry they are to hear I have cancer, I shrug my shoulders and say, "There's 1-year-olds dealing with cancer. There's 19-year-olds dying in Iraq. I can take it."

We made sure to hang our flag out front this morning.

No comments: