Wednesday, May 14, 2008

One Pill Makes You Larger and One Pill Makes You Small

Generally speaking, I try to take as little medicine as is humanly possible. Doctors try to help me by prescribing this and prescribing that, some medicine is effective and some isn't.

I do have a whole drawer full of medicines that I tried and then decided not to take. Some medicines served an immediate purpose and then weren't needed, so they went straight into the drawer.

On an ongoing basis I try to eliminate any and all medicines whenever I can.

Right now though I've got a bevy of active pill bottles.

Everything starts with the Nexavar, the chemo medicine. The chemo makes all the other drugs necessary, to try to deal with the side effects.

I take two different medicines to try to calm my stomach and digestive track. I take vitamins daily. I take a female hormone to stimulate my appetite. I have some pills to calm the nerves (which I mainly take around scan time). I've just added pills to fight the fatique and help keep me more awake and alert. And now there's allergy pills too. Yesterday pain killers were added to the mix for my shoulder pains. It's a bevy of pills and liquids that I pour into myself every morning and evening.

The costs are all over the place, from the female hormone which costs $500 a month to the pain killers that cost $13 a month.

The stomach gets a bit upset if I just throw all the medicines in at once every morning. So I have to spread it out. Getting through the morning medicines is about a two-hour process, mixed with some soft breakfast food as a buffer for the tummy.

I do dream of a day when I can put all of the drugs into the inactive drug drawer, and then pull out the drawer and throw them all away.

No comments: