Wednesday, May 7, 2008

This and That

Still sore this morning, and still hitting the Tylenols. My sore shoulder woke me up and then kept me up for about two-hours last night. But after breaking down and taking some middle of the night Tylenols I was able to finally drift off. And it was the first time I was able to sleep on my left side without my right shoulder aching.

If this stuff doesn't clear up in a week or so, I'll probably call my oncologist and see what he makes of it all. I know once I mention it to him I lay some responsibility on his shoulders. To ensure he's being thorough he'll send me out for another CT or MRI scan. We'll see, I'm still hoping some of this stuff passes within the week.

It does look this morning as if Hillary is going to stay in the race to stir up trouble. Because it does not really look like she has a chance after primaries in Indiana and North Carolina. She pretty much needed to take both states and she didn't. Now she would have to surpass Obama in all remaining primaries by 20-percent margins - extremely unlikely.

It will be interesting to see how the Democrats smooth all of this out before convention time.

I didn't expect yesterday to turn into "bug day," but it did. We decided that we should treat a house that's 200-years old and constructed completely of wood.

I'm always a bit nervous when hiring this type of contractor. I learned throughout the day I have good reason to be nervous. I interviewed six different "bug guys" and about half seemed like scam artists to me.

One would only give me a price if he could inspect the house. We invited him by. He inspected very little. Instead he quickly wrote us up for a contract that involved $200 for an initial treatment and then a subscription of $45 a month.

Huh?

No way.

I may have been born at night . . . but it wasn't last night!

When I told him that I really didn't think this plan suited us he couldn't run for the door fast enough. Actually he went from being overly nice to us to suddenly treating us like we were the dumbest people on Earth for not taking interest in his absurd plan.

We did settle with someone who I suspected was a con, but who turned out to be quite amicable. Over the phone he also demanded access to our house for a free inspection. Trust me, nothing's free.

He said, "Oh, you live in Marietta. I have a lot of experience down there. There's a lot of termites."

I thought to myself, "This guy's just trying to set me up."

But he was genuine. He thought our place was in awesome shape. He found some evidence of wood boring beetles but knew it was probably 100-years old. He trailed some ants back to the colony (behind a fence post half-way down our yard) and he sprayed it while he was there at no charge.

This morning is the first morning we haven't see one ant in the kitchen.

I think we found our "bug guy."

Today Barb is taking her first steps towards a driver's permit - exciting stuff.

We're also going to pick-up her new glasses today. I talked her into some Jackie-O prescription sunglasses. I think they look great on her. But as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

No comments: