Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Doing a Bit Better and Self-Diagnosis

One problem I've experienced with cancer is my doctors having tunnel vision.

Since I have cancer, anything that comes up is cancer's or chemotherapy's fault. But that just isn't necessarily the case. There's a whole host of everyday things that can still inflict me just like anyone else. But everything now is all about the cancer and nothing else is even considered.

I think that has been a particular problem over the past month. My primary doctor and my oncologist have been passing me back and forth like a hot potato, neither of them wanting to deal with my current situation. My theory is the hospital administration has asked doctors to restrict scans because none of them seem to want to order one for me.

As of yesterday I've come to the conclusion that something is going on with my gall bladder. I'm not fond of diagnosing myself. But with the doctors not taking action on the unique symptoms I've had the past month I've really had no choice but to try to pursue answers on my own.

There's nothing like having to go to the doctor and telling him what you have. But I certainly could be wrong. But at least I think my self-diagnosis could spur action. I certainly hope so.

I'll call this morning and try to make an appointment for Friday. We'll see . . . ?

Last night I slept much better, with the pain killers right next to the bed. When the pain killers wore off and I woke up at 2:30 a.m. I just took another dose and I was back to sleep until the alarm sounded at 5 a.m.

Today will be a somewhat restful day before we have to head down the pike to meet the surgeon in Philadelphia. If my self-diagnosis is correct on the gall bladder, I could be facing two separate surgeries in the weeks to come. I just say, "Let's move it forward." The past month of the doctors doing nothing has driven me nuts.

No comments: