Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thanks Mom

On this Mother's Day I reflect back on all of the things my Mom has meant to me. Quite frankly, she's meant so much I hardly know where to begin. I can't possibly cover it all.

Being adopted I've often thought how immensely fortunate I am to have a Mom like I do. I could easily have ended up in a foster home without a Mom, growing up with other orphans. My life certainly could have been much, much different.

My Mom provided me with everything I need and more. It's important to note that she did not provide me with everything I wanted, but everything I need.

Was I spoiled? No, not by a long shot. I was very fortunate. Mom made sure that I had all the important things: clothes; church; education; nutrition; exercise; opportunities. But there was no question she was the boss.

I saw other kids who whined until they got everything they wanted. Not me. I gave that act up quickly. It would never work on my Mom.

"How does it feel to want?" she'd ask.

"It stinks," I'd answer.

"Well get used to it. You're going to be wanting stuff the rest of your life."

My Mom is tough, at least on the exterior. I know though that she is really a big, kind, softy on the inside. Often times people present a first impression which disguises their true self, just a natural defensive technique. My Mom's first impression is "Don't mess with me." But her true spirit is "I'd do anything to help."

And help she has, not just me, but many, many people.

I remember once when a friend traveled with me to Myerstown to help my Dad install a window air conditioner at my Grandmother's. On the way back home my buddy turned to me and said, "Man, your Mom is the toughest woman I've ever met."

Toughest woman I've ever met too. But with the biggest heart I've ever seen.

I started playing midget football when I was 8-years-old, before I switched to soccer at age 13. A couple of Dads were showing up at every practice and befriending the coaches and somewhat bullying the coaches into assuring their sons would play quarterback or running back or whatever position they preferred.

I was a strong candidate for quarterback, tall, could throw the ball for distance and with accuracy, and the most athletic kid in my class. But with the lobbyist Dads out there everyday there was no chance I'd ever see the playing field. Dejected and ready to just give up after one practice my Mom quizzed me on what was bothering me. When I told her she told me to wait in the car and she made a beeline for one of the manipulative fathers.

I'll always remember this. Now this guy was large, a former pro athlete, and he had a bit of a temper. He had no idea what he had coming.

I couldn't hear a thing. But I didn't have to. My Mom tore this man down to his knees and then started over and took him down again. I watched with pride as my Mom talked and he listened, unable to get even a word in. My Mom believed in me, stood up for me against all odds, and I felt very proud to have her as my Mom.

Now, of course, I never saw the playing field after that. But it didn't matter. I should have been playing soccer all along. This was ELCO. The best athletes played soccer. By the time I was a senior I was playing in the state finals (we lost to Mt. Lebanon). I've often said, our soccer team could have beat our football team - in football.

My Mom's philosophy was to always provide me with opportunities. She wanted me to get a taste of everything so I could choose what I best liked from a diversity of interests. I may not have enjoyed the piano, the french horn, or several other things. But looking back I'm so appreciative for the opportunities.

I was in the pool at an early age. I had my life-savings certificate at a ridiculously early age.

I had a chance to play all sports.

Mom didn't let me camp out in front of the TV. Any book or magazine I wanted my Mom would see that I got. But TV? Not a chance. Beyond watching sports or a Saturday morning cartoon or two, there was no TV in my life. Looking back, I'm so thankful for that.

Mom did push me, towards church and finding my spirituality, towards athletics and practicing to be the best I could be, towards knowledge and continuing my education beyond high school. She exposed me to music and art and culture.

I owe her everything, from my life as an infant, changing my diapers and cleaning up after my messes, to the person I've developed into today.

I can't possibly touch on everything she's done for me, and how indebted I am to her.

Thank you Mom! I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My eyes are filled with tears of gratitude for your wonderful tribute to me, Jimmy. I can never begin to tell you how much I loved you from day one. Karen and Doug too. All of you were wanted and became the single most important persons in our lives. My circle of friends will absolutely attest to how fiercely I would defend and protect all of you. Life could never be about getting everything you want handed to you -- it had to be trial and error. I was always proud of your achievements and sad about your hurts and failures. Everybody experiences these emotions along life's way and no parent can make it any different no matter how much material "stuff" you gave along the way. My one motto in raising all 3 of you was "don't tell me you don't like it if you have never tried it. Try it and then tell me if you like it or not. Nobody should be forced to do the things they truly dislike and conversely you should have the opportunity to pursue the things you do like in all areas of your life".

My biggest fear and worry was the day that one of you would say to us that we were not really your parents so you cannot tell me what to do. Another fear was if you would want to find your biological parents. While some adoptive parents could handle that, I don't think I could have done it. Most certainly I would have helped you find them if that is what you truly wanted but I felt our relationship would be changed forever. None of you ever did that and I thank God every day of my life that I have you 3 absolutely wonderful kids.

You are now in the biggest ball game of your life and dad and I are here and ready to help, guide and turn over every stone to help you win this battle. You know that we have always loved you with an enormous, intense love that never quit even in some of your "growing and stretching your wings" years. I am so happy that all 3 of your became such very fine adults. Thank you again for this magnificent tribute. I wish I felt that I deserved it. Love to you always and to Barb to.
MOM