Saturday, September 29, 2007

Thanks Tim

When I first learned of the spread of my kidney cancer to my brain early this year, well it threw me for a bit of a loop.

I jumped online and gathered as much information as I could. I found myself to a forum for cancer patients and caregivers. There I met a couple from Northern California who were in a similar situation to Barb and I.

After a few e-mails they shared an idea with us. Their family had started a blog as a way to keep family and friends in touch with the ongoing battle. They told us that we should try it. We did. Here we are.

Tim had also had his kidney cancer spread to his brain. He also went through gamma knife and then whole brain radiation treatments as I had. He also took Nexavar.

Now it sounds as if Tim and I had a lot in common...and we did. But in this world we are all our own snowflake. And so many possible variables make us all unique amongst even our broad commonalities. I do understand this.

But it's still with a heavy heart that I enter this weekend with news of Tim's passing. I followed his fight on his blog regularly, and came to feel like I came to know him. He was a loving spirit who despite his struggles strove to spread smiles and laughter and love all around him.

For those of faith though, Tim's passing can be a celebration. To all of us who knew him of course we suffer the loss of being without him. But, unselfishly for Tim, we can celebrate his passing to God's side, to salvation, to a better place. And I do.

Thanks Tim. In the short time I've gotten to know you, and follow your fight, I've been inspired by your faith, your courage, and your smiles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For all the Tim's, as much as for yourself, it is important that you double your own efforts in this fight against this sometimes cruel and mostly unrelenting disease. No 2 people react the same even though they have the same disease. Always there will be newer and better ways to fight your own illness. It takes the faith of the mustard seed for all of us.

I, too, have lost friends along the way especially to the various cancers. The lose of Mary (JoAnn's mother) changed my life forever. Hardly a day goes by that she is not with me in my faith journey. And now I also worry for her daughter and her granddaughter with the same cancers that took her life. The difference is that they can survive because of the new treatments available. Mary was given nitrogen mustard treatments --- the very first form of chemo. It was a cruel treatment and gave her 6 months at best.

Maybe this treatment with Nexavar will ultimately keep your cancer in check but it could also mean that the newer chemos will have to be used. Regular MRI's and CT's will also keep the growth under control if the cancer should they resurface.

It is all in your faith of what is happening in your life. You need to find the reason for your own survival and move on from there despite the things happening all around you.

I am sorry for your friend being taken from our living world but for a little while he was here to help you and now it is your turn to help others and spread God's word. You are now the instrument for others to see.

While Tony was not a very personal close friend, it was still a very difficult thing to cope with. He was just cutting the grass not that many days ago and we waved as we drove by. Now he is gone and that part of the neighborhood will never be the same. He was part of my own kid's school life and had to have had an impact because he was always thought to be a good teacher.

I feel your sadness for Tim but don't give up your own fight. We all need you to stay with us and spread you love around.

MOM with love

Anonymous said...

I'll never give up this fight. Never. You can count on that.